Monday, September 23, 2013

DIY Flower crown

So beautiful! I want to do this one for me :)
Welcome here: http://www.kellimurray.com/2012/04/07/diy-flower-crown/

DIY FLOWER CROWN
I recently did a mini “spring-inspired” shoot with Taryn and Shelby of Joielala  (which mean a handful of fun lookbook posts will be coming to the blog over the next few weeks!)  This is just a sneak peak of one of the looks because I wanted to do a quick tutorial on how I created this pastel flower crown.  They make such a statement and are great for weddings, special occasions, or…just because!  Below are the steps on how to create one for yourself.  I created a large, full crown, but if you want to make one a bit more delicate, just buy smaller flowers and space them out more.  In total, it took me about 45 minutes to put together  and I spent only $18 in supplies.  But I still have a lot left over so I plan on making a few more! Perhaps even a mini one for Rylee!
STEP 1:  Get your supplies!  I bought all of my supplies at Michael’s, but any craft store should suffice.  What you will need is a handful of selected silk flowers, wire cutters/pliers, heavy rustic floral wire for the base, thin floral wire (green) to attach the flowers, and floral tape or ribbon (both optional).
STEP 2:  Take your rustic floral wire and shape it into a circle that fits comfortably on your head.  I would suggest making it a little loose because the flowers end up making it fit a bit snugger at the end.
STEP 3:  Begin arranging your flowers on the base and decide the general placement of the flowers prior to attaching them.  Once decided, start from the back and begin working forward.  Take your thin green floral wire and secure each flower into place by wrapping tightly around the base several times (or until you feel like it is secure).
STEP 4:  For the larger flowers, there was not enough of a stem for me to securely attach it to the crown, so I improvised, and first went underneath the bottom of the rose and tightly wrapped the wire underneath the green base of the flower between the petals and the stem.  Make sure to cut the wire long enough to be able to first wrap around the bottom of the flower as well as still wrap around the crown afterward.
STEP 5:  Continue the process moving around to the front of the crown and to the opposite side.  There is really no “right” way to arrange your flowers.  Just play with it until you feel like they lie the way you like.
STEP 6:  You can choose to wrap your flowers around the entire circle of the crown, or, like I did, only go 3/4 around the base.  If you decide to only go 3/4, you can finish it off by wrapping the back with floral wire or ribbon.  I decided to leave mine as it was because I liked the natural look of it.  Voila! You have yourself a flower crown!

No comments:

Post a Comment